I haven’t gone back through all my Oscar scores over the years, but I’m pretty sure that this was my worst score ever. I got 13 out of 24, which is pathetic. I underestimated BLACK PANTHER (3 Oscars!), thought GREEN BOOK would only win one Academy Award® – Mahershala Ali. Ali did win, but the film also got Oscars for Best Original Screenplay, and the big one, BEST PICTURE, which shocked me and I bet a lot of folks since just about every list of predictions I saw had ROMA winning.
Anyway, here’s the ones I got wrong:
1. BEST PICTURE: GREEN BOOK (I picked ROMA)
4. BEST ACTRESS: Olivia Colman for THE FAVOURITE (I had gone with Glenn Close for THE WIFE) This was a shocker.
7. PRODUCTION DESIGN: BLACK PANTHER (my prediction was THE FAVOURITE)
9. COSTUME DESIGN: BLACK PANTHER (just like the last category I had THE FAVOURITE down for this – sigh)
10. DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: FREE SOLO (I really thought RBG had this in the bag)
11. DOCUMENTARY SHORT: BLACK SHEEP (wrong) PERIOD, END OF SENTENCE
12. FILM EDITING: BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY (why did I think VICE would win this? I really can’t remember)
15. ORIGINAL SCORE:BLACK PANTHER (IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK really felt like the no brainer for this category, but BLACK PANTHER-mania cancelled it out I guess)
19. SOUND EDITING: BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY (FIRST MAN didn’t have a chance one can see in retrospect)
21. ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: GREEN BOOK (another shocker – THE FAVOURITE seemed so much to be a shoo-in.)
24. BEST FOREIGN FILM: ROMA (I didn’t pick ROMA here because I thought it was going to win BEST PICTURE. COLD WAR, which I enjoyed much more than ROMA, looked to me like a surefire winner, but like just about every category this year I was way off.)